Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Guide

January 15th, 2014

     What a great day! Been busy as usual lately, i have really been focusing a lot on the Spirit lately. How it works, what it means to carry it with me all the time. It has been a big focus lately to recognize and follow the promptings of the Spirit as it guides us along in this work. What are the different forms of the Spirit, and how do they apply to me?

     A Guide-
     There have been a lot of times on my mission where i have felt the 'guiding' influence of the Spirit, leading me along and showing me the way i need to go. One particular experience comes to mind:
   
     I was serving in Dallas Oregon, a small town of about 10,000 people in Northern Oregon, outside of the state capital Salem. What a beautiful little town it was, i remember getting there with my brand new companion, Elder Aragon, from Massachussets. Neither of us had much experience, but we had a lot of faith, and hard work came from that desire, so we went to work and the Lord richly blessed our companionship.
     One day in particular we were out knocking on doors in the pouring rain, in Oregon there are no real rain drops, its more of a blanket of wet. You can just be soaked to the bone in a few minutes, we were out knocking doors in this, and after a few hours of no success we took off on foot for our next appointment. As we walked along, i thought to myself, maybe i need more faith, and just at that time, an alley way opened on the right side of us. Elder Aragon really paused, then opened up and said, "i feel like we should go down there." I almost said no. I was tired of knocking on doors, and surely a pitiful looking alley wasn't going to have anything in store for us. Then i was reminded of my own thoughts, have more faith. So biting back my sarcastic tongue, i agreed. Lo and behold, a little group of apartments was back there, and the first door we knocked on let us into the house to teach them. A simple truth was learned that day, never back out on following the Spirit as it guides you.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment